Friday, November 15, 2013

Miracles.....and some pee October 21, 2013

What up homies!?

I know I know....weird subject line. 

stay with me. I promise I`ll explain. 

Okay so first off, not a whole ton happened this week. Tuesday was super rough and was the first time I came home and just cried. We had gone to our investigator Yenny`s house and her daughter and daughter`s boyfriend were there and we were talking about Yenny`s fear of baptism. Okay...THEY all talked about it while I sat and got a headache from trying to understand it all. Grrr it is so frustrating! And so doesn`t help when at the end they tell you you need to pray because you`re a missionary and should be talking more. I would talk if I knew what you were saying!

But, the rest of the week was pretty good. Lots of lessons fell through, but even with that we had a lot. I`ll just talk about the one that really counts. 

So on Tuesday, we were eating with the other missionaries after zone meetng in Centro. This lady walks by and asks who of us is over the area Misiones, which is me and my companion. Well, she has a friend there named Marta whose husband passed away seven months ago. He was a taxi driver and he was killed by some men. so anyway, she told us her address and asked that we call her. so we did and set up a lesson with her on Wednesday. We decided to teach her the verses in Alma 40 that talk about where we go after we die and how it`s a state of happiness, free of pain and sorrow. We asked her to read the verse, and she coud only get halfway throughit before she just started to sob. She asked Hna Goode to finish reading it, then kept saying "my husband`s okay. my husband`s okay." We testified to her that he is, and that Christ is always there for us, guiding us, finding us, helping us. It was amazing to watch the Spirit change her. What`s crazy is she told us before her husband died the missionaries had tried to contact them before but they never let them in. As tragic a way for it to happen, her husband`s passing softened her heart and prepared her to hear the glad message of the Gospel, and I have no doubt that her husband is accepting it on the other side. It`s just amazing to witness the Spirit change somebody, to watch the change happen in their eyes, right in front of you. We haven`t been able to see Marta again yet, but we`ll be seeing her today or tomorrow. And I am so excited!It truly is a miracle. 

Also on Sunday, 109 people were at sacrament meeting! Apparently the most our ward has ever had is 86, so that`s pretty awesome! What`s even more awesome is 6 of our menos activos and 2 of our investigators were there! Wooot! Also I had to introduce myself and bear my testimony during fast and testimony meeting....yikes. But somehow I got through it. 

My companion is the cat`s. pajamas. And also she for some reason hates that phrase, so I make sure I let her know she is the cat`s. pajamas. All the time. She really is great. We quote She`s the Man and Pitch Perfect a good ninety percent of the time when we are in our house. We have a lot of fun and she`s probs figured out how awko taco I am. I mean, I`m awkward enough in English, folks. Let`s try watching me in a lunch appointment where I have to try to understand and speak spanish. Also, I have greenie syndrome, which is where you can understand everything....until someone asks you a question. Then suddenly it`s like they`re speaking Russian in Uruguay. Someone asked me the other day how many siblings I had, super easy question, and I answered "Si." Facepalm. Also, somehow I got super clumsy when I got here. I blame the Spanish.

As for the other half of the subject line, last night we were at the house of a menos activo family we`ve been working with. They have a 2 year old girl named Victoria and she and I were sharing a seat....when suddenly I feel a rush of warm liquid. I jump up, praying to the high heavens that she spilled some juice...but I look around and no juice is to be seen. Hna Goode is like "Hermana, it`s all good, it`s just juice." But then goes to wipe it up and figures out it`s pee (kind of like i had already figured out). Then Victoria starts screaming because she peed her pants and I have pee down the whole back of my dress and Hna Goode is laughing her skirt off (see what I did there?) and one of victoria`s brothers is wiping up the pee and cleaning her up while the other is on the phone with their mom saying "Mom. Victoria peed on one of the Hermanas. Come home now! No, you need to come home now." So, there you have it folks. First time in my mission and en mi vida that I have ever gotten peed on. Missionary work holla! 

Fun facts about Uruguay


1. It`s Springtime here, but it`s starting to get super duper hot. Excuse me if I don`t send pictures home for the month of December. It`s just because I`ll be dripping with sweat in all of them. 

2. the food here is delicious! Milanesa.....mmmmm. Except, we decided to cut back on how many days we let the members feed us because they make you eat SO much. Like, you can feel yourself gaining weight. Rivera is nuts. 

3. Crosswalks aren`t a thing here. You just have to be quick. (sorry if that freaks you out Dad.)

4. The little store in our area plays American music ALL THE TIME. Trunky trunky trunky. 

5. We ate at a Greek place today with the Americans in our zone. Yeah, I got a gyro! My stomach is doing cartwheels right now. NO. joke. Also, another reason why my mission and area are the best in the world? That Greek restaurant is technically in Brasìl, so else do we see come in to eat, than 4 Elders serving in Brasìl! Yeah, pretty shiz. They`re going to come play volleyball with us next week two. 

6. Rivera has this most delicious drink ever called Guaranà, and it`s from a Brazilian fruit. I`m so spoiled to be born here. Leaving will be rough. 

7. Being a missionary is really hard, but it`s also the best thing in the world. A lot of the people here are helping me out a lot with the Spanish and everyone is so loving. Plus....I just need to know the Spirit. So that`s what I`m working on. The ZL in Montevideo said to me before I got on the bus to Rivera "You don`t need to know Spanish right now. Spanish isn`t what baptizes people. Spanish isn`t what changes people. The spirit is. So just know the Spirit, and you can do anything." And I`ve reminded myself of that everyday. 

Anywho, it`s supes hot here, I`m always tired, and always have a sweaty back from my backpack. But you know what? It feels like work, and it`s the best work there is. 

Try not to get peed on this week! And seriously, WRITE ME! You have no clue how much it helps! I love you, I love you, I love you you little turds!

Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment