Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cow tongue, peppers, and other random adventures...........September 26, 2013

Hola! How goes it? I hope it goes well. This week is composed of a lot of little random things so I will get through them as quickly as I can! And I hope you think they're as funny as I do, but I don't know maybe you had to be there.
 
Well first off, last week we did the Temple sesh in Spanish! I learned two things from that session:
 
1. How much Spanish I know.
2. How much Spanish I absolutely positively DO NOT know.
 
#missionaryprobs
 
It's pretty sweet having the temple 50 yards away! The MTC is sort of like a compound. Except that it's a super nice compound with palm trees and parrots and a temple and we get to play frisbee all the day long.
 
Friday we did some role play and taught each other. The people being taught had to pretend to be someone they knew who needed to hear from the misisonaries. Hermana Buss and I taught Hermana Hunt who was pretending to be her cousin. As crazy as it is because it was role play, the Spirit was SO insanely strong. As she was pretending to be her cousin, she told us she is sort of a member and knows God loves her but she's afraid she won't be forgiven of her mistakes. We both bore testimony to her of the Atonement, and within seconds, we were all crying. The Spirit here is just amazing. Megan, pull yourself together you big boob! there's no crying in missionary work! (that´s a movie, for those sad souls who don't know that)
 
Saturday was proseletismo again! We were in the same area as last time. We were told it'd be a little chilly and maybe sprinkling, so we brought jackets and umbrellas just in case, but no coats or boots.
 
Well, I would like to call the president of Argentina and ask him what his definition of a sprinkle is, because what we walked around in was a full downpour!
 
We only talked to a couple of people because of the rain. None of them were interested because they have their own religions and wouldn´t take a pamphlet or book of mormon, but they at least listened, which was nice. By the end of the day, we ended up putting our pamphlets and Books of Mormon in mailboxes. Which is actually legal here. Holla, South America! I have been pretty sick this past week, and Saturday morning I felt worse than ever and could barely even talk because my voice had been fading the whole week. I asked my District Elders if they would give me a priesthood blessing. Elder Boyer (the District Leader) annointed and Elder Dye aka my favorite person in the whole wide world who luckily is going to URUGUAY! gave the blessing. It was a simple blessing, but so powerful and EXACTLY what I needed to here.
 
That night, he came up to me and said "Hermana Dolan, I forgot to thank you for giving me the opportunity this morning to exercise my priesthood." He is my favorite.
 
OK but seriously my companions and I have the best luck in the entire world. Here´s the story:
 
Once upon a time, four of the Elders in our group (as in a couple from our district and a couple from the other district) are sitting under a pavillion with holes in the roof to eat their lunches and get as much shelter from the pouring rain as they can. One doesn´t even have a jacket because he didn´t think he´d need one. Another makes the comment "You know, I bet Hermana Dolan, Hna Buss, and Hna Hunt are all sitting in some member´s house, drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies."
 
Meanwhile, us three Hermanas are doing just that. Elder Page is a good guesser!
 
 
yep, it´s true, while going door to door and having nobody answer us, we walked past this house with a lady standing under the roof of her garage squeegeeing the floor. We said hi and she went "Ah! Hermanas! Yo soy un miembro!" And turns out she speaks English pretty well too! Well she invited us inside and gave us hot chocolate, cookies, and bread with jam, and everything! Mmmmmm delicious. Turns out she is not only a member, but the stake president´s wife! How cool is that! Her name is Claudia. We talked for a long time and found out she has two kids and her son is on his mission right now in Chile. It was the first home we´ve been inside of since we left home, and it was so nice to have a mom type figure to talk to. Plus it was so nice to be inside from the rain! We gave her a brief message in Spanish for practice, which she helped us out with. The Spirit in the home and that was brought with our message was so strong and we were all boobin of course. We were there for about 45 minutes when we decided we needed to leave to get back out and work. Her husband came home just before we were leaving and kept saying over and over that he was worried about us going back out into the wet cold, and we could really stay for as long as we wanted. That took a LOT of willpower for us to leave, but we knew we needed to. We didn´t even find anyone to talk to after that, but we would have felt guilty if we hadn´t tried. Claudia was definitely an angel sent to us, and the Elders were all SO jealous! "Perks of being a Hermana" they kept saying. Yep, pretty much.
 
Sunday as always was amazing! Only two Sundays left here. And guess what? The last weekend here we have CONFERENCE! So I get to watch conference here in the MTC! I am so excited! Oh and also my district was in charge of the musical number and we saying joseph smiths first prayer to the tune of Come thou fount of every blessing. We KILLED it! That was my idea by the way, so someone thank Bethany Ramsey for teaching me that. It was beautiful. We rocked their stinkin socks off.
 
The other group of Americans left on their missions this week, so it was just us two districts for a blissful two days! WE get new North Americans today. I´m so excited!
 
Okay so some funny and random stories from this week:
 
Presidente (while teaching us a parable of Jesus Christ and trying to explain that the parable is saying there was an infinite amount of wine): So if we have this many liters of wine per person, then what do we have? (the real answer is "infinite wine")
Elder Degne: "One heck of a party!"
 
hahahhahahhaha
 
While deciding what animals everyone in our district would be:
Elder Dye: I´m worried to say for the Hermanas because I feel like I could offend you if I say any animal.
Me: Just tell me! I won´t be offended.
Elder Dye: Okay. A fish.
Me: A FISH??????
Elder Bronson: You could have said any other animal and it would not have been as bad as that one.
Elder Dye: Okay, I´m sorry! Hmmmm....an ostriche?
Elder Bronson: Alright, THAT is the worst animal you could have said.
Elder Dye: You said you wouldn´t be offended!
Me: A FISH?????
Elder Teloma: For the record, I do not think you are a fish. Can i be your favorite Elder now?
 
hahahahhaha
 
Monday night the district that was leaving decided to eat a bunch of those super super hot hot hot peppers. Well, Elder Teloma in my district who is going to Uruguay, is not the sharpest tool in the shed and decided to eat 6 at once, while Elder Dye also ate 5 at once. Teloma looked fine at first, but then slowly he started to go "ahhhhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh" and pound the table, and then he got a whole bottle of ketchup, poured it on the tray, and grabbed it with his hand and stuck it in his mouth. Then, to top it off, Elder Boyer was laughing so hard while drinking juice, that juice came out of his nose. Like, it was a waterfall of snot and juice. Funniest thing I´ve ever seen!
 
They served cow tongue this week, just as an option for those brave enough to try. Nope. No go. I did not try it. I gagged just looking at it. Ick ick ick. I´m content with saying they served cow tongue and I saw cow tongue and I saw other people eat cow tongue. But that´s it.
 
We did a comp. fast yesterday for the language and also for courage to talk to more people on Saturday. We´ll see how it goes!
 
We have companionship positions. Hna Buss is Senior Comp, Hna Hunt is Assistant to the senior comp, and I am assistant to the assistant to the senior comp, or AA. So. Woot! we´re pretty cool.
 
not gonna lie, all I can think about right now is the volleyball match we´re playing against the other district today. They´re going down.
 
Okay well that´s all for this week! Just a lot of randomness! I love you all and I am so happy here! PLEASSSSE send me emails or letters! You have no idea how much I love getting them!
 
Alrighty well love ya all! Remember, stupid is as stupid does.
 
Hermana Dolan

No comments:

Post a Comment