Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy turkey day! November 25, 2013

Hola hola hola kiddos! 

I sure hope everybody`s week was swell, because mine was! 

So after last P Day, which was Tuesday, was Wednesday. Obviously. I`m starting to sound like Rebecca Black. Anywho, so Wednesday we did Divisions. But like for real for real divisions this time, not just the mini divisions we did the week before. Hermana Olson and Hermana Goode went together in our area, and me and Hermana Ramirez went together in our area as well. So you know what that meant? Yep, that meant I had to lead our area for a day. To someone who speaks next to no English. Gah scary! 

But guess what? It was AWEEEEEEESOME. 

So we had a few lessons with menos activos, (which I had to lead). It was the first time I`ve been the one to make all the small talk and ask about people`s families and start the lesson and everything. And I understood e v e r y t h i n g. En serio. And Hermana Ramirez and I were able to communicate pretty well too, while we were walking in the street and everything. So on that end of things, it was an amazing day! It gave me the confidence that I will actually survive when I get a Latina companion (which I pray I get right after I`m done training. You pick up Spanish in a heartbeat with a Latino companion.) Also, we did a lot of contacting, and we came to this house with this AWESOME awesome awesome woman named Natalia. We actually found her talking to her son, who is friends with Nicolas. He and Nicolas were out on the street and we asked if his parents were home. So anywho, he said yes and that we could go chat with her. We taught the first lesson to her, and she was SO receptive! One part of the first lesson (which in our mission is centered only on prayer), is we invite them to pray right then. She was really timid to, so we told her we could all kneel and she could say a silent prayer and when she aid "en el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen", we knew she`d be finished. She actually said a really long prayer and teared up a little bit, and then told us she felt so much peace! She is a capa and I`m so excited to teach her more! 

Hermana Ramirez is s e n s a t i o n a l. She dies in March, so she`s got a lot of experience. And when she`s not her perky, princess, high-pitched voice self, she has this voice that can bring a Spirit like no other! 

The Lord definitely gave me a lot of confidence on Wednesday through those divisions! 

We met the new peeps in our zone on Thursday, and this change it`s a BUNCH of Americans! Our District now only has 3 Latinos. It`s gonna be SAWEET. We also got a new kid in the mish in Rivera. He lives across the street from us, and his dad is Elder Rodriguez. Not gonna lie, it is so nice knowing more than at least one person instead of being the one that`s totally lost haha. I know, sad, but don`t worry, I`m helping him out as much as I can! He`s still got that bambi look on his face, which is embarrassing because I looked at him and though "yep. I must have looked like that." 

I know, look at me, I`m all growed up (almost.) 

The best part of the week was Saturday. B A P T I S M! 

I don`t know if I`ve written yet about the Araujo family. If not, that`s ridiculous, because they`re one of our favorite families. They`re a less active family. The mom, Ana, is 32. She got married when she was only 15, and had two kids with her first husband: Cristian (16) and Niki (14). Then she got divorced, remarried again, and had Cecilia (8). Then got married again, and had Vitoria (2.) Her and her last husband Pedro got baptized together, a little while after Niki and Cristian got baptized. But right now they`re separated (although a prob in Uruguay is that everyone lives right next store to their family. So Pedro is living with his mom, who is just three houses down. I know, awk.) Anywho, they`re having a lot of challenges, so we visit them a LOT. Ana is the sassiest Uruguayan I have ever met. Ceci is the one who got baptized. So technically it wasn`t a missionary baptism, but we still count her as ours because the family was almost inactive before we started teaching her. Cristian baptized her, and it was so sweet how nervous he looked and how she started crying. Poor girl`s been waiting for months, but because of a lot of logistical stuff just barely got to. So she was SO excited! It was the sweetest thing, and reminded me of when my brother baptized me. Great memory. I love the Araujo family. Cristian and Niki are super sassy like their mom (and make fun of my gringa accent, but in a super funny way.) Ceci is the SWEETEST 8 year old in this whole darn world, and Vitoria is just a cute albeit crazy wild child who is most definitely the epitome of the terrible twos. Love them. 

Anywho, just a really great week! Carol`s been out of town, but we have a lesson with her tonight. Hopefully it all goes well! 

Just a couple quick facts right before I go a spiritual on you guys. 

I think the thing I miss most about when I speak Spanish is the English slang. Like the word "swell." I forget that even the Latinos who know English, don`t know a word like swell. The other day, I told Elder Torres, the ZL who is from Ecuador, that he`s really swell. And he got a super confused look on his face and started looking around to see what part of his body had swollen. Hahaha bless his heart. 

I really really miss the following things: 

peanut butter
syrup 
spicy food 
zip up hoodies (they sell American brands here for literally $90-$100
wearing sweats on rainy days

and then, naturally, every single one of you. 

Also, my least favorite question en el mundo right now: 
"do you have a boyfriend?" 
Double worse that they always ask Hermana Goode first, and her answer is yes. So then they give me a look of pity when I say now. 

But then I remember I have a line of suitors at home, and I feel way better. (hang in there guys. just 15 months.) 

Okay, spirit time:

I was reading in Alma the other day, and I read one of my favorite scriptures, Alma 26:12, which says:

 12 Yea, I know that I am anothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will bnot boast of myself, but I will cboast of my God, for in his dstrength I can do all ethings; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

ometimes, in life, and most DEFINITELY as a missionary, I wonder if I`m capable of doing great things. As a missionary, if I will really learn Spanish. If I will really bring somebody to the waters of baptism. But I love this scripture for two reasons: 

1. It reminds us that MANY MIGHTY m i r a c l e s CAN be worked, through the Lord. In His strength, we can do all things. 

2. It`s not about us! It is all about HIM. We are simply instruments in His hands. His timing. His methods. He will work miracles through us, if we put our trust in HIm. He`s already given us that promise, as with Alma. 

Ask the Lord, and He will strenghten you. Then, praise His name forever. 

Remember, WE CAN DO HARD THINGS! 

That`s all in this week in Uruguay. It`s Thanksgiving this week, which they don`t celebrate here obviously. But I just want to take a minute as time is short to say I am so thankful for this Gospel. I am thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and for a loving Father in Heaven. I`m thankful for the strength i have in Them. I`m thankful families are forever. I`m thankful for Uruguay, and I`m thankful I get to be a missionary. I`m thankful for all of the examples in my life and for who I am because of them. And I`m just so thankful for the hope of this Gospel. And of course, I`m thankful for every single one of you, and your support and kindness.
I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU! 

H A P P Y T H A N K S G I V I N G. 

Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment