Friday, November 15, 2013

HAPPY HALLOWEEEEEEEEEEEN....................November 4, 2013

Hey hey hey! How the heck is errbody? I hope good. I hope you all had a good week! 

So first off, HAPPY HALLOWEEN THIS PAST WEEK! Not gonna lie, I kind of missed all of the decorations and the kids trick  or treating (and when I say kids, I mean me) and the haunted houses. They don't do really anything for Halloween here. Even a lot of the members and stuff say they wished they did it here like we do there, because the way the states do it is pretty sweet. 

Also also also, two very special people had birthdays this week, so 

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANNIE AKA SISTER RECKSIEK, AND MY SUPES COOL BRO IN LAW JARED! I hope your birthdays were as swell as you are! 

This week honestly, was not a super eventful week. I'll give you a couple more fun facts real quick though:

1. Everyone and their dog here rides motos (motorcycles.) It's more economical because they're cheaper. And when I say dogs, I mean they will ride with their dogs. And their nine month old babies. All you mothers in the world would have a heart attack. 

2. Everyone and their dog is ALSO named Carlos. For realsies. We have THREE menos activos named Carlos, and one investigator. So. It gets pretty confusing. 

3. Just an example of how Spanish ruins your English: Hermana Goode went to kill a spider, and meant to say "hand me your flip flop" but instead she said "hand me your football." Okay, let me just hand you that football I brought with me. It's a struggle my friends #spanishmissionaryprobs (she also said conestutter the other day instead of stonecutter) 

4. It's not quite super hot here, but I'm just bracing myself for December. Apparently in the summertime the missionaries will just jump in a cold shower with their garments on right before they go to bed, and then go to bed. And they're still hot. Yikes yikes yikes. 

5. We're going to ZONE CONFERENCE on Friday! We're going to be meeting up with the zones from Artigas and Tacuarembo, and we're going to Artigas! It`s going to be sweet.....other than the fact that all of the Greenies have to bear their testimonies. So I have to do that in Spanish, in front of 90 something missionaries. I'll probably just say "Yo sè que Jesucristo vive." and call it good. (i kid, i kid. you know me; even in Spanish I could never speak ONLY one sentence. baha.) 

6. This week, we've mostly been working with menos activos. Our investigators were all gone last week, but they'll all be back this week, plus we've gotten a ton of references that we're really excited to contact! 

7. On Halloween, we did a Halloween activity with the other 6 missionaries (combining the two wards) We had bobbing for apples, Halloween music, candy, the game NINJA, and a game that would so NOT be funny in English called "Le vendo un pato." (translated means "I sell you a duck." told you it`s not funny.) Anywho, it was a REALLY great turnout! I actually did try bobbing for apples, and you know how I found a hidden talent for ultimate frisbee?....yeah I don't have that for bobbing for apples. I kind of failed. And got very wet. But hey, whatevs. They all knew I was awkward anyway. They know that from the first time they heard me speak Spanish. Let's be honest. 

                                   Halloween Party, Megan attempted to bob for apples

No one tells you how hard the first few months in the field are. It. Is. Rough. Satan has been working really hard. But guess what? He aint winning! This week, moreso than the Spanish, he's just been making me question myself in general and the intentions of my heart in being here. But then I remember that I KNOW why I'm here, and far more important than that, the Lord knows my heart. Even better than I do. Even though there aren't very many people here in Rivera who really even know my name other than "the new hermana", the Lord knows my name. And whether those people know doesn't matter, because I'm just an instrument in His hands. I am learning more and more everyday; more Spanish, more of the Gospel, more of how to be a good missionary, and most importantly, I'm slowly learning more and more about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I am understanding it as  I try to apply it, and as I try to take His pure love and show it for others. I read something in True to the Faith this past week about the Atonement and how it helps us through trials "while He may not relieve you of your challenges and trials immediately, He will gave you the comfort and understanding to give you the strength to carry your burdens." It's so true. So don't sit there waiting for things to get better. Embrace them, take them with you, and let them help you understand your Savior. That's what I'm learning, and I'm so glad to be learning it. 

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be good member missionaries! Offer to go to lessons with the missionaries, reach out to their investigators and less actives, anything. You have no idea what a difference it makes. The members in our ward are a little difficult right now to get lessons with and we're trying to strengthen our relationship with them, but it has given me motivation to be the best member missionary when I'm home. Every one of you! Go to just ONE lesson with the missionaries! Or at least offer! Okay, I'm off my soapbox. 

Sorry this one's kind of short. It was a rather uneventful week. But the Atonement is real, Uruguay is AMAZING (as is its milanesa and alfajores), and the Gospel is true! It is the light that can vanquish all darkness. I know this because it...and HE...is what saves me from my shadows. You just need to remember to look towards the light! 

I love you, I love you, I love you! 

Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment