Tuesday, November 19, 2013

22! 22! We Love You, 22! November 19, 2013

Hey hey hey my loyal readers! 

How was everyone's week? I hope it all went well for all of you. Beeteedubs, if you don`t know what that subject line means, please go and watch A League of Their Own. Right. Now. Honestly the subject has no significance to the week, other than in the Free Shops here they make you put your stuff in a locker before you go shop so that you don't steal anything. My locker number was 22, and it was kind of sad that I had no one to laugh at my fantastic quote. So, please go watch it. (shout out to my Poulsen peeps. I love you guys!) 

Alrighty so this week had a lot of special little moments as always, and then one really big one! 


First of all, remember Nicolas, the adorable ten year old who last week stopped us? Whose little friend Luis told us "God bless you?" Well, we were walking past his house again last week, and saw him, so we went up to go talk to him. And he goes "I`m sorry I didn`t go to church on Sunday, but it was raining way too hard." And we`re both sitting there thinking "first of all, he was going to go to church?" (no one invited him, he was just going to go.) And second of all, "what ten year old apologizes for not going?" Gaaah why is he so perfect? We met his little brother Juan last week who is 9 and we`ll be going to meet his mom hopefully tonight. Fingers crossed (people work super weird hours here.) Gah he is perfect. I want to adopt him and take him home with me. 

On Wednesday, we did mini divisions with Hermana Olson and Hermana Ramirez. I went with Hna Olson to their area for a few hours and Hna Ramirez went with Hna Goode to ours. It was awesome! Hermana Olson is a complete rockstar! We contacted quite a bit and it was so empowering! We talked to one guy who was standing outside his house with tattoos and a cigarette, who only spoke Portugese. But we actually understood quite a bit of what he was saying, and he told us his parents both died when he was little and for that he doesn't believe in a God. But you know what? He believes. You could see it in his eyes. He`s just angry. We stood there and told him about how we are all children of a God who loves us and we can be with our families again. He talked to us for quite awhile, and you could tell he was starting to feel something. Unfortunately, right when you could tell he was, that's when he just got scared and told us he had to go. But what was amazing to see the change in his countenance. The Spirit really is sensational. And, it just gets more and more special to see the way my heart breaks for people who feel that sort of sorrow and anger. I challenge all of you to pray for charity and the pure love of Christ, because I know firsthand that the Lord will answer. That`s what he`s been doing for me. 

On Thursdays we have our activities with the youth. Nicolas came, and a ten year old girl named Yesica that we`re teaching too! I love love LOVE the youth activities, because they talk to me a lot in spite of my limited Spanish knowledge. Plus, they think I`m funny. Proof that the youth know what`s up, because let`s face it, I`m HILARIOUS. They also like watching me tell stories to Elder Lufi in English, because I get really excited and animated. I LOVE THE YOUTH. 

ATTENTION TO EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE. You know how they say that when it comes to the gospel, you should never give up on people? We have FIRSTHAND PROOF OF THIS, which is the absolute best thing that happened this week. Remember Sol, the little girl who got baptized a few weeks ago? Remember her mom, who has been an eternal investigator for, like, five years? Well, we`ve been talking to her more about baptism, and she`s been saying that she wants to be more sure, more excited like Sol was, before she gets baptized. Hna Ramirez and Hna Goode went and talked to her on Wednesday about Moroni`s promise at the end of the book of Mormon, and challenged her to really pray, because they knew she`d get the answer. And then she started crying, and said "I know I need to be baptized. I want to be a part of what my daughters have." Now I speak to anyone serving a mission, is going to serve, or has served and isn't sure they were successful. Carol has been meeting with the missionaries for FIVE YEARS. I bet at least some of those missionaries thought they failed with her, but now she is getting baptized! (we`re still figuring out which day in the next couple weeks.) NEVER GIVE UP ON ANYBODY. Every single one of those missionaries was a part of Carol`s conversion process, and now she is just steps away from the waters of baptism! I am so thankful for the Lord and the miracles he works in the hearts of the children of men. Some may take a day, some may take a lifetime, but those who he has prepared, will come in their own time unto their Savior Jesus Christ. 

Just a couple fun facts:

In Sunday School this last Sunday, I was trying to talk about the story of Peter and Jesus Christ and "do you love me? Feed my ship." Well I was talking about fishing, but I made the most derp obvious mistake you can make in Spanish. So there is "pescar", which is to fish, and "pecar", which is to sin. Well, I said Peter was "pecando" and then everyone looked at me really confused until Hermana Goode tapped me and was like "pescando, pescando!" Hahaha pray for me. 

One of our semi activos, Carlos, a couple weeks ago started to tell a joke every time we visited him, because we started to ask if he had one. Well, a little over a week ago, he asked me if I had any, to which I replied "I have a bunch in English, but none in Spanish." And he said "tell one in English. I understand everything." (he understands nada in English, we just always jokingly tell him he does.) So now, every time we visit him, he asks for a joke in English. He just waits until I give the cue of going "HA!" And then, this fifty something year old man does the funniest laugh attach I have every seen en mi video. He stomps his feet, rubs his hands together, and has the general appearance of a laughing chimp. Hahaha it`s the best parts of my week when we go and teach Carlos. By the time I`m done in Rivera, I am going to try and have all those jokes translated so he can understand them. Because honestly, they really are funny. 

Speaking of staying in Rivera, I`m staying in Rivera! Haha I think I confused some of you. Training lasts 12 weeks, so I`ll be here at least until January 1, but most likely Hermana Goode will be the one to leave. Which means I`ll probably be here until February. But changes are today, which means we had to say goodbye to the Elders that are dying tomorrow and to the other missionaries that are getting transferred. But luckily, Elder Rodriguez, who lives across the street from us, will be training a North American! Which means there`s going to be someone across the street who knows even less Spanish than I do! Boy oh boy, I am SO OLD you guys. 

I FINISHED THE BOOK OF MORMON THIS WEEK! That was the first time I have ever paid so much attention to what I`ve been reading, the WHOLE time I`ve been reading it. I cried when I finished, which hasn`t happened before. I know the book is true. It has ALL the answers. It soothes the soul. It contains words directly from our Father in Heaven, and He preserved it for OUR time because He knew the kind of world we would live in and the hope we can only get through it. Read it! Read it now! Don`t even finish reading this, just go pick up a Book of Mormon and read it! 

We went to Coisa Nossa today, which is basically Tucano`s but for half the price. Yeah, I know, I`m in the best place in the world. 

Guys. Another miracle happened this week. MEGAN. GAYLE. DOLAN. Ate a pancho. No, that`s not something that guards you from the rain. It`s a Uruguayan hot dog. And I ate one, and LOVED it. And then ate another a couple days later. They have powdered cheese on them and papafritas and hot sauce. Mmmmmmm. (the hot sauce is just an option, but the pancho man always gives us a weird look when we ask for it. haha they don`t do spicy here.) Miracles happen, folks! 

Anywho, that`s all for this week, folks. Tune in next week for another exciting edition of the day in the life of Hermana Dolan! I hope you all have the best week ever, and I hope it includes starting to read the Book of Mormon, and watching A League of Their Own! Seriously, I can`t watch it, so it`s your obligation to watch and enjoy on my behalf. 

Remember, the sun insists on rising, so make yourself stand! I love you, I love you, I love you! 

Hermana Dolan

No comments:

Post a Comment