Monday, March 10, 2014

I now know the meaning of "endure to the end...." March 10, 2014

KIDDOS. 

Such a good week, guys! Let's just get right to it! I'll try to be as quick as I can because there's a lot to say.....

Okay so for starters, we went to ChiChi again, and the poor old lady just gets so confused. We've tried explaining prayer to her 3 trillion times but she still tries to give one of her Catholic prayers.But she is so cute and always gives us a Bon a Bon (delicious chocolate candy) right before we leave. We'll keep going and we'll just have to be reaaaaaally slow with her. 

We also went to this lady named Elsa. Elsa was a contact we had made the week before, and we finally managed to catch her at home. The poor woman lost her husband 3 years ago and she just kept talking about how sad she still was. None of her daughters come to see her, and one of them even lives next door but doesn't talk to her. She just kept talking about this "sadness" inside of her. We read Alma 40 with her and talked about the purpose God has for each of us. By the end, she had said "I love you girls. You are the first ones who have been able to help me, and I think you can see this sadness I hold in my heart. I want you to keep coming back." People like that are just so prepared! We only got to go once to her last week because after that we had......(drum roll please) 

ZONE CONFERENCE. Normally, zone conference is just within the zone in one of the churches. But President Smith has decided that it's important for us to be able to receive revelation from the temple, so now every zone conference we go to MONTEVIDEO to be able to go to the TEMPLE! Holla! I hadn't been to the temple since my first day here. I was so homesick for the temple, moreso than I've ever been for home (no offense guys haha.) We got to Montevideo on Thursday night and slept over, and I couldn't even sleep I was so darn excited! Which is how the temple should be. I hope you peeps at home take advantage of living ten minutes from like 5 temples haha, because I miss it so much! I already want to go back. 

In Zone Conference, our focus was ALL about the Plan of Salvation.. We learned a better way to teach it, and President Smith went more in depth to some scriptures before we went to the temple so that we would be able to understand things better when we were inside. I learned so much! Like for instance: Eve. President talked about how the belief is that Eve was tricked by Satan, but it's more like this: Eve was given two commandments: multiply and replenish the earth, and not eat from the tree. But they could only keep one commandment at a time. So what did Eve do? She chose the greater commandment, to multiply and replenish the earth. It hurt her to do so, but she did it. Then President goes "how awesome is Eve?!" Yeah, I agree. Eve is pretty rad. 

I LOVE THE TEMPLE. i don't think I can say it enough. 

Haha okay so funny story. The way we learned the new way to teach the lesson was that the Assistants would teach a part of it to a fake investigator, then we would stop and talk about what was good about it, then we would practice it amongst ourselves for a few minutes, then President would call a companionship up to practice it in front of somebody. (my comp and I had to do it...yikes. but we survived :)) So anywho, Elder Toledo from Chile and his "son" (greenie) Elder McKinlay, aka the funniest human on earth, get called up. Elder McKinlay says a couple sentences, but then Elder Toledo does most of the talking. But THEN he looks at Elder McKinlay to talk. Elder McKinlay gets about three words in, then stops and goes "okay, yeah I have no idea what I'm doing." we DIED. I have never seen President laugh so hard! Haha so great. 

I also said goodbye to Hermana Smith (President Smith's daughter that's my age :() She is going back to school and then at the end of the year she'll be leaving on a mission too, so it'll be a good while before I see her. I LOVE HERMANA SMITH. I mean...Audrey haha. It was fun though because for a few minutes we hung out in the mission home before getting on the bus to say goodbye. I loved chillin' with the Pres and his fam. And all of his kids are crack ups in the way they talk to their dad. His 16 year old son Jerry was like "MAN LOOK AT THE CAMERA, POP" when he was talking a picture of the zone. Haha. Too good. 

Speaking of, if you go to the page "President and Hermana Smith" on Facebook, that's the mission page. They post a bunch of stuff on there, like that zone picture! But anyway, zone conference as always was amazing, and as always I LOVE President Smith. he is amazing and so is his wife. They really are my parents here in the mission (and they're a lot like my parents too), and I love them! Zone Conference and the temple were just exactly what i needed. 

We talked to this lady named Graciela in a bakery the other day. She asked us what church we were from, then said she wants us to come talk to her because she thanks we may have the answers that she's tried to ask God as to why she is suffering. Holy prepared! That was Saturday. We'll go to her today. 

We decided we have to drop Guadalupe this week....she started to avoid us and even hide from us. I know she'll get baptized someday though, so it's okay. It just isn't their time. 

Saturday night the Elders had a baptism of this total stud named Leandro! Finally, a baptism in Centro! It was so great. And, Brian and Angela came! We could tell they really felt something. We (the 4 missionaries) played ping pong with Brian afterwards and I totally kicked their trash....haha sike. Did you know latinos are almost as good at ping pong as they are at soccer? I need to practice. 

So SUNDAY. First of all, the average sacrament attendance at the beginning of the year was in the twenties. Now, we have worked so hard and it has gotten up to consistently being in the 45 and up range and sometimes more! Some real miracles. This branch has come such a long way since we got here. 

But the BEST PART of Sunday was that Brian and Angela came again! We asked to do a lesson in the church afterwards, and taught The Gospel of Jesus Christ. And guess what? We gave them baptismal invitation. And guess what? THEY ACCEPTED. March 22, homeslices are gettin' dunked! Please pray for them! It was a really powerful lesson, and even though he tried to hide it, Brian cried a little bit. He went from saying he didn't believe when we met him, to accepting fecha. Miracles! I am so blessed to be a missionary! Please pray for him! 

Haha okay so now for the meaning of my subject line...we go to this member in her branch named Ilda last week. She is this cute little old lady, with a few missing screws if ya know what I mean haha. But anyway, this day is HOT. Like, super hot. But we get there, and she says "queridas! (dears), I have cafe de malta for you!" It's like this coffee type stuff that isn't really coffee that members are allowed to drink. But it is nasty.....and super hot. I had to put pretty much a bag of sugar to get through it all. So I'm halfway through my first glass and I'm just thinking "endure, endure...." because I'm about to have  heart attack from heat. Then I finally finish, but she says "do you want some more?" And I had to say yes....so I got an even bigger glass of this hotter than satan's spit nasty coffee stuff. We came out afterwards and i told hermana zumeta "i finally understand the meaning of endure to the end." So there you have it. 

Okay so that's all, folks! Not much deep spiritual insights. I had a bunch, like always, but there's just no time to share them. Just know that I LOVE it here and I love being a missionary! I love my President, I love fellow missionaries (the ones in my zone are a hoot), and I love my Savior! And I really love this work! 

And.....I love you, I love you, I love you! 


Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment