Monday, May 19, 2014

The Lord has more May 19, 2014

Hey everybody! I hope everybody is doing swell! I`m doing pretty well here in Artigas! 

First of all, we decided we needed to leave some investigators. That`s always hard. Especially because President Smith has given us a specific lesson to "formally" leave them so that they understand why we don`t come back. They are super great people, which is so hard when you know they feel the Spirit but just don`t want to make necessary changes in their lives. But we knew if we did it and trusted in the Lord, He`d take care of things! And boy, has he! 

Also, Wednesday was pretty cool. Tuesday I had come down with a pretty gnarly ear infection which affected my throat. On Wednesday it was really bad, so the ZLs came over and gave me a blessing and permission to stay in that day. But I thought "nah, let`s go out." And I don`t say this to boast at all! I say this because it`s amazing how the Lord knows what His missionaries need and blesses them for it! That day, we found new investigators, got some rockin`references that we didn`t even ask for and are excited to contact, and saw this really incredible miracle with this woman named Edita. 

Edita is the mom of a member named Gabriela, who is in her late twenties and has served a mission. Gabriela is A M A Z I N G. Every human being needs to be like Gabriela. She is so cute and she also loves English so sometimes she`ll just go into English with us. Haha. But anyway, her mom has listened to countless missionaries, and always liked the message, but never wanted to do anything about it. Her husband especially made it that way because he was a hardcore Catholic and even against Gabriela getting baptized when she did. But, her husband passed away just a few months ago, and Gabriela told us "it`s her time. She is so sad and I know she can be happy. And I know my dad is being taught right now, too. She is so close, Hermanas! Please teach her!" She also said she thinks it would be good to talk more about prayer with Edita so that she can start praying on her own and that way get her own answer. 

So on Wednesday night, I prayed to the high heavens that Heavenly Father would let me be able to speak more (my ear infection made it really painful to talk, and poor Hermana Sump had been having to lead all the lessons that day. Which she did rockin`at!) When we got there, I still couldn`t really. But then as soon as we started the lesson, I suddenly didn`t feel any pain and was able to speak freely! 

We taught the story of Enos. It was one of the best, most spiritually powerful lessons I have ever had on my mission. Edita opened up a lot and started crying as she talked about how she missed her husband. But then she said "but as I hear you guys talk about these things, my heart is lifted and I actually feel peace." We testified to her that she can feel that every time she prays. She said she would and that she even would about baptism. It was amazing! We went back to her last night, and she very kindly and honestly told us "I don`t think I can be baptized right now, because of respect towards my husband and the things he wanted." But then she followed it up after a pause with "I know I will though, Hermanas. I just need you to be patient with me. He died so recently and I need some time. Please stay with me here." GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! It was incredible. SHE is incredible! So that was a great miracle. 

We are also teaching a man named Nelson. He`s an older man who misses his wife SO much. He always talks about her. We`ve seen him several times this week and every time he says "I always feel better when I talk to you. I finally feel at peace. How can I feel that all the time? How can I take this sadness away?" Well, let us show you sir! It`s so amazing to see the way the Gospel and especially having a knowledge of the Lord`s amazing plan of happiness can really lift hearts. It`s amazing to see the happiness fade in their eyes as they hear it. Nelson`s nephew is also a former member who I guess had told him we worship Joseph Smith, but we explained to him how that`s not true and explained more about prophets and Joseph Smith`s role. The next time we went back, he said "I told my nephew what you guys said, and he said you were lying, but i told him you guys can`t lie and that he`s wrong and that HE`S lying! How about that, Hermanas?" He is so cute. Super great! 

We had ZONE CONFERENCE on Thursday! We were in Tacuarembo with Salt, Rivera, Artigas, and Paysandu to hear from our Area 70, Elder Zeballo and his wife. It was AWWWWEEEEESSSSSOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEE. We were all even more pumped for the work after! 

One of my favorite parts was President Smith, who talked to us about prayer. He really wants all the missionaries here to be using the power of prayer to their fullest advantage to make the mission even better. One thing that I loved that he said was "we sometimes forget that the Lord WANTS to give us blessings. He wants to grant us our desires. What are your greatest desires? They are evident in what your prayers are. Maybe you think you ask for too much, or that you already have so much and don`t want to ask for more. But that`s where you`re wrong, because THE LORD HAS MORE." That was the main theme of the conference....the Lord has more. He has more strength to give us to help us suffer our afflictions (P.S. Alma 31:31...it`s a winner!), more blessings to give us, more happiness waiting. 

It was an awesome zone conference and a great week! On Sunday, a less active named Teresita who hasn`t been to church in 2 years WENT TO CHURCH! It was the best thing ever to be able to see her in church! 

So anyway folks, that`s what`s new here in Artigas! 

I have been blessed be on measure in my life and especially here on my mission. So many lessons learned, so many miracles seen, so many happiness experienced. And you know what the best part is? 

The Lord has more. 

I love you, I love you, I love you! 

Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment