Friday, August 8, 2014

I am on Cloud 9...............August 4, 2014

Dear family and friends, 

I´M BACK IN RIVERA AND I AM SO HAPPY. 

So I bawled my eyes out when i left Artigas. i mean, it`s me....not really a shocker. Especially saying goodbye to the Buenos. Man oh man, that killed me. And Flor, Bruno, Gabs. But I have made everybody commit themselves to go to Disneyland when I`m home, so call Disneyland and tell them to prepare themselves; Uruguay`s comin`. 

But you guys, I AM SO HAPPY  HERE. 

It`s like a blast to the past! I have only seen one member so far from the other ward that I started in. She recognized me at the bank my second day here, and just said "you came back?!" Haha. Everything about it is like a blast to the past, except that I actually speak Spanish now! So that`s a nice bonus. 

My area! I seriously fell in love the first day. We have SO much to do! It`s amazing! We have a gazillion people to teach, my first sunday in the ward was one of the best Sundays I`ve had in my mission, and the members here are seriously fantastic. We are finding ALL the time! 

Hermana Barrios is a CAPA! Like I said last week, she`s from Argentina. I`m her second companion, but it doesn`t even seem like it because of what a great missionary she is. And no one else believes me, but she also talks like Jennifer Lopez. I mean, if I heard J Lo speak Spanish, that`s how she would talk. Or in other words, if I heard Hermana Barrios speak English, that`s how she would talk. Apparently, everybody told her before I got here that she`s the "Latina version of me" so we were going to get along just fine. Also, Hermana Zumeta is the Hermana Leader Trainer here, and so we`re going to get to do divisions together! It was so good to see her. She also told me she has plans to go to BYU, which means she`ll be living in Utah! I don`t know what came over me you guys....but I LITERALLY cried tears of joy when she told me. And everybody thought I was crazy. But I just love her! And Hermana Barrios and I are going to get along REALLY well. She has a ton of excitement and animo for the work, and she works really hard. So it`s gonna be a good change! 

So the AREA! The whole area is hills. Hills, hills, hills. I might die in summertime. But on the plus side, my legs are going to be reaaaaally pretty. But there are so many prepared people here! 

There are two little boys, Marcos and Lucas, who are 10 and 11. Normally, President Smith tells us to be really careful with baptizing kids, because a bunch of less actives in Uruguay were baptized as children and then went inactive as soon as their missionaries left. But THESE boys, they`re capos. Marcos started going to church with his friend Alejandra who got baptized last month. He`s gone 6 times now, but the hermanas just found out last week that he wasn`t a member haha they always thought he was. And through Marcos, the past 2 or 3 weeks Lucas has gone. We just had our first lesson with them together yesterday. We asked them if they liked church, and they said yes. So we asked them why, and Lucas goes "because it`s important." and we said "why do you think so?" And he said "because that`s where we can look for God." YOU GUYS HE IS ELEVEN YEARS OLD. Capo. We`re planning on both of them for the 23 of August. We`ll be giving them the invitation for that date today. 

Yesterday, while we were visiting a member, Brenda, and her boyfriend Antony, who just got baptized last week, Brenda`s neighbor Rodrigo (13) was there, so we asked him if he wanted to join. We taught the story of Enos to keep animating Antony with prayer, but we also taught Rodrigo at the same time. Turns out he had listened to the missionaries before almost two years ago when Brendo got baptized, and even went to church a few times. But as we`re teaching and asked him if he feels that prayers are answered, he said "sometimes when I`ve prayed, I don`t really know, but I feel like God is giving me more faith." And then he started ripping out the most profound questions I`ve ever heard a teenage boy ask about the Plan of Salvation. So, we set up an appointment with him for this week and we REALLY hope things go well, because he seriously seems so prepared. 

There are two teenage girls, Valentina and Belen, who got baptized with their mom and little brother 2 years ago. Only their dad isn`t baptized. They LOVE going out with the missionaries, and we had an actual lesson with them this week, apparently the first they`ve had since they got baptized, and we talked about their desires and what they need to do to get them. Somehow, we started talking about fasting. Turns out, they`ve never really done a REAL full fast before. So we told them that for fast Sunday we could all fast together for their dad, so that he can open his heart to the Gospel so that they can be an eternal family. In testimony meeting yesterday, Valentina got up and bore a really powerful testimony about fasting. She said "I don`t know what`s going to happen with my dad, but I do know that now I know about the power of fasting, because I felt closer to God today than I ever have: even in the temple." And then she and Belen came up and hugged me afterwards and said "hermana dolan thanks for supporting us!" I seriously fell in love with them the moment I met them. They are capas! And we are going to do everything we can to help their dad. But I too have a really powerful testimony of fasting, and some of the most rewarding experiences of my mission have been to fast with somebody else for something they need. Maybe something didn`t happen right away, but just like Valentina said, it`s something that can fill us with a real peace. 

So long this week, I know. I just have so much to say! This ward is amazing, this area is amazing, RIVERA IS AMAZING. 

It is so true that while we`re in tribulation, it almost always means that Heavenly Father has got something GREAT waiting for us, if we can just stay obedient and endure. I have seen the truth of it here on the mission! This ward, it seriously is the best I`ve been in. We`re finding literally EVERY day, and the members always want to go out with us. 

I am back in the fatherland and I couldn`t be more excited! The work goes well here and there is a lot to do. 

I love you, I love you, I love you! 


Hermana Dolan 

No comments:

Post a Comment